Monday, November 17, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Watched it last Saturday. It was funny in the sense it was a movie I wasn't all that keen to watch but I seemed destined to watch it anyway. Over the course of a month since it came out, I seem to be in a position where I would be and then I wouldn't be watching it. But now I have. So what's the verdict?

The verdict is that it was an entertaining movie. Not because I am an Abba fan, I'm not. I only know 1 of their songs by heart and it isn't even their most catchy tune. I have no idea why I know that song. All I could remember is that my elder brother about 16-18 years ago had the lyrics and since then I've more or less still remember the lyrics. Which song? 192116518 2018152116518.. hehehe...

Why the movie was so entertaining was for several reasons:

1) I believe the biggest reason is because I've always wanted to write a musical. Ok, want and actually being able to do it is 2 completely different things. I always toyed the idea of telling a story with just the songs. I would turn my life into a musical if I had better way with lyrics but no thanks to my poor command of English, I always find myself repeating the same old lines. Which is boring, since the music always seems new. (ok, the music seems new because I can hardly recall the previous ones since they were all impromptu).

2) The young woman playing the daughter of the lead actress had such a great voice. Reminds me of the time I felt so buoyed by hearing female choir singers. But this was just one person. Still, I guess i'm a sucker for good voices, or at least, voices that appeals to me. I'm sure my mom would never like Amy Lee, but I admire her voice to no end.

3) The movie was a no brainer to some extent, though it did have an interesting dialog. I didn't enjoy watching Pierce Brosnan try so so so hard to sing in tune however. He did managed, but you can tell he was in pain. hahaha.

Now my problem is getting Abba out of my head. Some of their songs can be quite, timely and it doesn't help me when I need to have my mind thinking about other things.

Time to listen to Tragic Symphony again...:p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can listen to more Super Trouper, haha! Nice coding there :)

-Roy