Friday, November 21, 2008

Not so many weeks ago...

I actually, finally, made it to......

Batu Caves!!!

Now, for those unfamiliar, Batu Caves is somewhat of a tourist/religious place on the outskirts of KL, where I've been living all my life (and now too even though I'm technically in another state) which being a KL-ite, I should have been several times before in my lifetime.

But me being me, I've never, I mean, not ever, set foot on that holy ground until now..Or in proper timelines, 20 days ago.

This place isn't really big, but it does have a really big statue supposedly in gold (at least it looks like it, though I can't fathom why on earth humanity would waste so much gold on such a big thing, which makes me belief it could just be the colour...). Now in case I myself forget when I was and what I did there, here's some photo evidence (and no, I didn't do no photoshopping since really, I don't know how....yet...)

Photobucket

That's me in my overused Lord of the Rings T-Shirt..Which I got free from Comics Corner...hehehe. Oh, The pidgeons were to busy scurrying for food they ignored me as a potential toilet....:P

Photobucket

That's the statue I was talking about. Now as you can tell, thanks to non-existent special effects, I look smaller than the statue. Really, I'm bigger.. I mean it.. Really..No, don't believe?? Dang....I did try....:p Oh, notice the step all the way up? That's the main 'tourist' thing, climbing the stairs. I was there with a friend, so was this bunch of primary school kids. Unfortunately taking photos of random kids I know not off may result in some paedophilia trigger somewhere on the internet had I posted it so I decided to not take any of their photographs as proof. You'll just have to believe me that there were these kids around. Why are they so important that I had to mention them? Wait for it....

Photobucket

Oops. Said it too soon. I did catch them on the background of this photo. I repeat, that was unintentional (now where's that sod of a camera man I relied upon to take my photo WITHOUT the kids in it...Gonna give him a good hiding!) In any case, I'm right at the bottom, preparing my ascend and these kids were already running up the stairs. Now, it's just 272 steps, so surely it's not a problem. (yeah right. Tell that to the fumbling cameraman going there with me!)

Much like the story about the hare and the tortoise, the hare (those pesky school kids) ran quicky up the summit while the tortoise (Me. My friend couldn't run even if he wanted to, haha!) slowly went up one step at a time at an appropriate pace. While I didn't really required any stopping (it is really just 272 steps after all...), we did end up taking some breather so that the other 'young man' can catch up...As for the kids? needless to say, much like the tortoise eventually catching up to the hare and finishing first, the kids ended up puncturing midway top half as I expected. Wisdom does come with age sometimes....hehe

Photobucket

Now this was me right after the steps. I don't look tired one bit (shhh). As for the other guy...well...How many times can I use him as a target of ridicule in one blog entry (err, plenty..But in real life I'll probably get 2 girly slaps, 1 chick kick and a Widow's Peak to boot, since he like's Victoria so much..:p). Anyway, the cave looks quite impressive and there are several Hindu idols/gods to worship ( I think, I maybe wrong since I didn't really find out for sure). We venture deeper into the cave and here are 2 more photos of the view from within.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh wait, what's this?

Photobucket

Well, I guess it's nice to see a relative even in these places. Unfortunately being related and all, it knew I had no food to offer hence the disappointed look away..:-(

After we were glad we 'conquered' Batu Caves, we decided to take an unplanned visit to the caves next door, aptly named dark caves (I think. haha). Now this was a cave which is riddled with bat poo (I don't recall the proper term, too bad) and cockroaches and it stinks, but we figured since we're unlikely to ever make a trip to Batu Caves for the rest of our lives, might as well. It's a paid tour by the way. RM 35 for an educational trip. Again, thanks to the poo and the roaches, do not venture if you can't take the perfume...I mean, fume....:p

The cave was nice and all and we were given a quick lesson on caves and why over time the cave turned into what it is now. Luckily they allowed us to take pictures at one spot inside the cave. They call it the 'air-cond' area. That's because this part of the cave is smallest in diameter and with a nearby entry to the cave provides air that fizzes through the cave more quickly there than anywhere else we get a really cool breeze constantly. Hence the temperature there is lower. Oh, more photo..

Photobucket

Yup. That's the poor bloke who got conned into being the scapegoat of all my snipes on this blog entry. Thank you for volunteering. It was nice of you to go through all that and end up becoming target practice. At least the pidgeons avoided you too!

After we exited the dark cave, which, by the way, is called so because if we we to lose our torchlights inside the cave we would be in pitch dark. Really pitch dark. Ok, so dark cave visited, Batu Caves conquered. Next?

Time for me to pitch a trip to Gua Niah, the world's largest natural cave ( I think....haha!)

So who's interested??

No comments: