Monday, April 20, 2009

Fireworks...

Bored and tired of playing Dota, I stepped into the living room hoping to entertain myself by gazing into the idiot box. It was around 8.30pm and the idiot box was showing rather idiotic things. I wonder why I pay the monthly fee these days since the shows are rather crappy over weekends. I don't watch on weekdays you see. But if I were to cancel the subscription my mother would probably give me an earful since she's at home all day (except for weekends...)..

Even while playing Dota in my room I've been hearing someone talking as though there is a party nearby. Dismissing it as probably one of my neighbour in my 24 stories apartment (or condominuim, but I don't want peple to think that I live in some really expensive place because the place is not that expensive, or classy, at all) hosting a party, I just kept ignoring the noise I hear in a futile attempt to find some entertainment via the idiot box.

Then I hear explosions and looking out my balcony I see bright colours. The explosions persist and then I realised someone was letting off fireworks nearby, around the construction sites of the semi-detach houses at the bottom of the hill my apartments occupy. Without much thought I instinctively opened up the grill to my balcony (yes, eventhough I live on the 22nd floor, it pays to be careful with home security as there are people who would climb into balconies that high up just for an easy break in) and stepped out to have a closer look.

I've watched fireworks before, but in most instances they are at least a few kilometres away and I'm usually on the ground. This time, I am at a height where the lights go bright and the loud booms are resonating throughout my apartment. The fireworks went on for a good 3-5 minutes, all the time I just stood there and witnessed the spectacle. Realising the show was finishing, as well as my proximity to the fireworks, I was somewhat worried that the finishing act might just reach me. Indeed the final blast was huge and far reaching, but luckily it didn't shoot across as far as I was worried about.

That, made my Saturday Evening. Sunday was still crap, however.

Though I want to note that while I still don't see why people like fireworks all that much, after all, it's just lights and loud noises, seeing one so close and so unexpectedly have reminded me how beautiful fireworks can be. As well as how life can spring surprises in the most unexpected of ways. The next time I hear noise like parties, I hope they have fireworks too. This time I'll try to record it on camera.

No comments: