Friday, September 18, 2009

Is it time...

to spill the guts out?

I'd say not quite, but it needs documenting anyway so here goes..


Prologue:

In June 2008 I just changed roles within my company and got introduced to a colleague who was rather health savvy. Through our interaction I was challenged, or encouraged, to consider reducing my weight. The key highlight of this encounter was how over a period of less than 4 weeks, I was influenced from 'Living to Eat' to 'Eating to Live'..

Note, for those unaware, I am somewhat of a glutton and find food rather irresistable. It didn't help that my childhood was one of poverty, so having food to eat more than that to stave off hunger was a luxury, one I never miss. To me, free food was always good food. Beggars can't be choosers......

I weight approximately 108KG before I caved in and asked my colleague to act as my dietician.


This first month:

The plan was to monitor what I eat. I've always overeaten, especially during lunch and dinners. Anyone who's ever seen my plate of mixed rice for lunches would comment on the mountain of food I had. So part of the gameplan was to change my food intake.

There were the usual restrictions. No oily food, deep fried dishes and fatty meats. Rice, my core intake daily, became rationed. Vegetables were changed to be my main food source. I was given a visual picture of splitting my plate to 6 portions; 4 for vegetables, 1 for meats and 1 for carbohydrates.

It was tough. But I was motivated and it was nice to have someone else care about my weight. I dug deep and got stuck in.

I recall losing about 2-3 KG the next time I weighed in. Cool stuff.. :D

The following months:

Progress was good but it was slow. At around 30+KGs overweight, I had a lot to do to even reach the border of an acceptable BMI.

As I manage the changes to my food, I was given stricter regime. Lunch remained the same, but dinner was to be made of significantly more vegetables than anything else. I for one loathe cooking, not so much because it taste awful ( I can't cook, but can eat most things I cook, however horrible the taste) but more for the time ratio between preparing the meal and actually consuming it. For me, the time required to prepare a meal should not exceed the expected time required to consume it. Else, it's really a waste of time. Luckily for me, my self prepared dinner menu included baked beans, (canned) tuna, bread and a variety of salad vegetables that required very little cooking, if at all. So I could get dinner ready in less than 10 minutes.

Even bread was rationed, especially on my weekends where I do not go out to eat. 2 slices for breakfast, 4 slices for lunch and 3 slices for dinner. No dumping loads of stuffs in between the slices ala Garfield; I'm allowed only light spread of olive oil butter or some tuna chunks in water. My food, overall was as bland as the word could be defined. Fortunately for me, I have very little issues eating bland food; As long as they aren't bad and giving me digestive issues, I'll eat it.

This went on for a few months. My weight loss were a little more apparent, dropping down to low 90 KGs by October 2008. Still far from safety, still a long way to go..

No more free consultation:

Unfortunately for me I have a thing about messing up with good things that happen to me and by October I lost my free 'dietician'. however, I was already getting used to the routine of avoiding oily food, rice and eating more vegetables. While my motivation dwindled with the lack of push from an external party, in addition of the pressure of delivering results so that my caretaker's efforts weren't in vain, I managed to keep myself in check most of my meals. I do end up with an occasional splurged of sinful food; A kuey teow goreng here, nasi lemak there and a Carl's Junior in between. But I have now gotten used to mixed rice with no rice, much of a surprise to many vendors seeing this big man not want rice, let alone add rice..

It's fun to surprise people sometimes, especially doing something completely unexpected.

By the end of 2009, I was hovering around mid 80s. Still having work to do, but at least I'm not way out there in terms of obesity..

Epilogue:

I'm now see sawing between 78-82 KGs these days. I'd like to drop down to low 70s or even high 60s, but that isn't going to happen until I will myself to exercise. Yes, I lost around 30 KGs by just watching what I eat. Not something that everyone can do, especially if they aren't way overweight in the first place. In my honest opinion, it only works for people who over eat all the time and are way obese. If you're just looking to get a better weight than your already good weight, work out.

My Joys:
1) Not having ankle and foot problems that, according to my orthopedist, was due to my weight.
2) Getting to wear pants 6 inches smaller.
3) Getting better mileage from my car.
4) Being able to jump, run and more or less stretch around without feeling utterly tired and overworked.
5) Discovering almonds as a snack. (Oh, yes, even my snack menu got changed!)
6) Learning to be more observant with food packaging and ingredient details. Not exactly an expert, but better than what I was before (as in oblivious).
7) Ok, it just feels good to not be overweight by a lot.

My sorrows:
1) Still having a bulging tummy (exercise you lazy bum!)
2) Getting all sorts of random people saying I've lost weight. I don't need you to tell me something I already know.
3) Losing motivation to keep up the work so that I can be fitter for my upcoming Go-Kart race.
4) Having a newly bought 'slim fit' shirt still in my closet because of the bulging tummy. Sigh..
5) Craving and missing oily food.
6) Seeing food for their 'sinful' content and not their taste value.
7) No longer able to maximise a buffet meal!!!!!!

May I keep this up for years to come and one day wear that shirt without looking like a fool!

Oh, and stop telling me I've lost weight! Because I haven't, at least not for the past 4-6 months!

No comments: