Saturday, August 27, 2005

What a Gala

Barely an hour before I was at Dewan Philharmonik Petronas attending it's Gala Concert for Season 2005/2006.

It was nice to be there, even nicer to have a friend there with me. When you read this, thanks dude..It was rather fun to show you how diferent the Gala concert is compared to the usual fixtures..

The show started with an Overture from one of Rosini's operas, followed by 4 songs by Strauss. Sung by a soprano in German, I found myself awed by the vocal strength, but lost musically. I guess contemporary songs has gotten me accustomed to the structure, and th song that I heard had so different a structure that I got lost trying to find the melody.

Then it was the expected intermission, where we were served some light refreshments before the final part which was an orchestral arrangement of one of Brahms' Piano Quartet. No piano here, but the pieces were arranged very close to Brahms' style, at least on my point of view.

As usual, at the end of the concert the Malaysian crowd clapped for an encore, of which the orchestra obliged with Brahms' Hungarian Dance no.1. it was nice to finish off with a piece that I remember! Then the concert ended and we leave the concert hall to be greeted by supper!

A plate full of pasta, lasagna, some spring rolls, Murtabak and chicken later, the Gala experience ws over and I strongly believe it was money well spent. If you love classical music, want to see many ladies in fine evening gowns and prefer a peaceful weekend outing comapred to the loud boom ounds and choking air of a night club, I recommend you see the Gala concert too. but you'd have to wait till next year, though!

No comments: