Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Saturday, 4th March 2006

It's 6.10 am. I'm actually quite awake, but sometimes getting out of bed isn't as easy as it seems. So after a couple of snoozes (of my alarm) I finally woke up to get reasy for the trip to Singapore. Then some bloke (you know who you are) decided to call me while I was brushing my teeth! At least it's good to know the rest have woken up too, but getting a call at 6.45am when you have already awaken isn't very nice. However, when you are asleep.......

Got a ride from my sister all the way to Puduraya. Meeting time was supposed to be 8.00am, however I arrived at 7.30am instead (This is not the only time where I do a reverse of the Malaysian timing culture). Called the others to ascertain their location and ETA and then proceeded to find a Mamak restaurant to have some tea. I wasn't feeling so well in the tummy, so couldn't bring upon myself to look for a moeny changer or get the tickets for our rides down to Singapore. About half an hour later, Azmin called to find out where I was, only to pass by the Mamak and not know I was there because they thought I was inside Puduraya...

Oh, maybe it's time to introduce my travelling party....There's me, well, you should have known that by now...There's Azmin, who also went to Singapore last year for the same event. There's Dawn, who for the second consecutive year, is the only female player in the tournament, and lastly there's Loco, the 'new arrival' who isn't that 'new' really because he's actually older than all of us... So this was the trip of 2 Liverpool Fans, 1 Random Girl and a DumbA$$ in the Toilet (Did I get this right? Something like that lah, ok?) I'll explain the dumba$$ later...

Funny number 1: All 3 'veterans' forgot about getting Singapore currency, and as it was way too early, the money changer isn't open. While the turn of events made it possible for us to change Sing dollars before we boarded our bus, the truth is, we would have gotten better rates had we have changed in Singapore instead.

By the way, we managed to secure bus tickets for a Bus to leave at 9.00am, only to have the 'traffic' situation in Puduraya make us wait until 10.00am before the bus went on it's way. Thus we managed to get some Sing dollars, as the local money changer opened at 9.00am.

Funny 2: As I mentioned, I had some issues with my digestive system, and took the delay as a chance to 'relieve' myself. However, i took longer than the gang expected, so they sent Azmin to go search for me. After I was done, I noticed 4 missed calls (god knows why I didn't hear them in the first place) and an sms "dude, where are you?". I rushed to the platform only to find Azmin is still looking for me...Luckily we all managed to get on the bus together (obviously helped by the late, late bus).

The bus stopped somewhere in Batu Pahat, I think, for a break. We alighted for lunch, and then Azmin and Loco made a startling discovery...It seems that a certain cashier was demanding a lot of their attention, and they made very little effort to hide it. They also brought to my attention that one of the passenger was somewhat, tomboyish. Unfortunately, me in my unwell state (still having stomach issues) it took Dawn quite a number of sentences before I got what they were saying. Back to the cashier, Azmin made a second trip for tissue, while Loco was admiring the scenery very much. We only had 1/2 an hour, though, so time to get back on the bus.

Nothing much else happen, we passed through Malaysian Border, then Singapore Border, with little fuss. Loco was made a pass on by the Singaporean Immigression officer, but other than that, nothing we didn't expect.

Conversation 1:
"So Azmin, do you know where our Hotel is?"
"It's on Beach Road."
"And how do we get there?"
"I don't know."
"So you have the map with you?"
"No."
"You have their number?"
"Yes. And the address too."

(Please note that having the number isn't reall helpful as all of us are on prepaid mobile phones, and calling/receiving calls cost a bomb!)

In the meantime, we were also having this serial caller calling each of us, one after another, almost every other hour..(You know who you are)..Will talk about that person later...

The bus drove into Beach Road (road signs help, I tell you!) and we asked to be allowed to board off. However, the driver explained that Singaporeans are very strict towards where busses may offload their passengers, so we only manage to get off (ahem) another block away. Taking all our stuff, we had to walk about 150-200 metres before reaching the junction of Beach Road.

Conversation 2:
"What's the address again?"
"97 Beach Road"
!!

The lot number of the first building on Beach Road that we saw was 397!! Long, long walk ahead....


(to be continued...)

No comments: