Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Singapore, 5th March

OK, by the way, Liverpool has since scored 18 goals in about 4 matches....

It's now Sunday morning and as usual, someone else' handphone alarm went off (not mine), but I woke up first....So we freshened up, got ready and left the hotel by about 8.15am. The cool thing this time was that we booked for Sunday night as well, so no need to lug around our whole travel bag and stuff and look like nomads at the tournament (last year that was what happened). Breakfast was unfortunately not Burger King.....Since we were somewhat late (by my standards, anyway, we were there early), we had to go to the venue first, scout around and then decide to have breakfast near the venue.

Breakfast for everyone was similar to KL, Roti Chanai, Fried Meehon and Wantan Mee for myself. No pork though, damn. After a quick (like 15 minutes?) breakfast, we returned to the venue where I proceeded to find some trade opportunities. Dawn made some moves on some Adrian she met last year, though it's intentional here to mean something else, when it actually wasn't. Who am I not trying to confuse here??? Moving on..

Trading didn't go very well in the beginning, probably because everyone was tense over the looming round one...In any case, let's see if you notice anthing about my next seven matches...
Oh, in case you forgot, I'm playing Face Your Freakin' Hero

Round 1:

Edge (Superstar Value(SSV) 3)

Was actually quite confident I'd nick a win, simple because I didn't know any better. Prematches that included Fan's love an Underdog, and I'm an Underdog, sent my SSV sky high and Edge having a handsize good for Road to Victory(RtV). However, due to my lack (none) of practice, I played like a noob( amatuer) and let Edge smack me silly and call me.....I of course, lost....

0-1


Round - 2: Rob Van Dam (SSV 3)

This is actually a kid that Dawn had to rematch with, after (not sure who) they decided to play wrong opponents for round 1. Dawn won the match, got incorrectly paired down to play me, and thus her opponent met me instead (Swiss Round rules....Don't know about it? too bad, haha). Being a kid that he is, he wasn't very confident of his deck and thus by sheer maturity, I won. (yes, me the bully...)

1-1

Round 3: Big Freakin' Machine (SSV 3)

Yet another kid, but this one knew how to play the deck. The moment he dropped the Throwback (TB) Inferno Match, I knew I was doomed. Before we even started the match, I had lost about 20 cards to overturn..Safe to say, I killed myself this match.

1-2

Round 4: Shelton Benjamin (SSV 3)

Aha! My namesake, and a 'tou tai' (student) to my SuperStar....Unfortunately my lack of playtesting meant that I was yet again bashed to bits, and My Freakin' Hero was freaking out due to the number of losses that I have. At this point I was truly contemplating dropping...Wonder why I didn't...Oh, I had a trend, i wanted to know if it would continue...

Round 5: Chris Jericho (SSV 3)

This is by far my best matchup, simply because locally I have a "jericho" player who does nothing but say "Dis-card...a-card..." every turn. Knowing how this SuperStar worked, I manage to do the unthinkable....I Victory rolled this basta@^@^@^@@^!!!!!!!! fyi, this is what the local guy does to win..(you know who you are ,you pirate!).

2-3

Round 6: Junkyard Dog (SSV 3)

Who the hell is this??? His ability was that all his grapples are -7F...Which meant a lot of the big grapple manuevers can be thrown at me from the start. Couple that with him playing Hell in the Cell, I was doomed. I was actually trying to save myself, but my last ditch effort with Do You Live By the 3 I's to shuffle back 7 face/heel cards didn't save my ass and I lost in the end. ( I also cheated by shuffling It's True! It's True! which isn't a face/heel card for me....)

2-4

Round 7: John Cena (SSV 3)

See the trend? I did.. This John Cena player probably played this guy for fun, because he idolises Cena, or he doesn't have any deck and was given Cena to play with. Cena is actually very week in the meta game, and therefore even without my playtesting, Cena lost....A clear indication he was just as ill prepared as I was...He didn't dicard my backlash card at all, and he had about 15 fortitude....

3-4

And so goes the ex- 6-1 performer to a meager 3-4 result. I should be ashamed of myself...Actually I am....NOT!! (lie)

So what did Benjamin Lam learn from this fruitless venture to Singapore?

1) Who needs a backstage signature when all your opponents were SSV 3? Reduce their SSV so that they could Underrated SuperStar???? I tell you, SSV 3 SuperStar rocks now!

2) Don't go to a tournament unprepared, thinking that theory is suffice. My indecision cost me lots of games, if not all, and my lack of playtest as well.

3) Have burget King for breakfast, lunch and Dinner, no matter what your other travelling mates say...Else, what else have you got good to remember by??

Oh, I also failed to mention we did end up having Burger King for lunch.. While they shared a set for 3, I had my own set...But that's not the main story....

Oh, time to go home, last part coming next!!

No comments: