Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Of long trips to find food you can get next door (almost)..

Warning...Non-Halal post ahead....hehehe

Before that, a quick update on class last weekend. Still the same teacher who I have to speak in Cantonese with. But this time it was better an communication wasn't as tough. So maybe I should give it a go for 2 months. I paid for it anyway, hahaha. It's funny she asked me to get a songbook of sorts which was aptly titled, "Piano for Adult Beginners". It it, voila! It had June by Tchaikovsky (which looks harder than it sounds...:-( ) as well as Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (which, if I was only required to play with my right hand, I would have breeze through easily, haha!)

In between are loads of songs and compositions, which, IMHO, some are simplified. But then again, it's not like I can play the originals anyway. I can't even play the actual Traumerei....Sigh...


Ok, so last weekend an much delayed trip to Klang to find some authentic Klang Bakuteh finally materialised. For those unfamiliar, Bak Kut Teh is hokkein for Spare Ribs and Tea. The meat is pork by the way. Though I'm not exactly a fan of spare ribs (unless you debone them for me, haha!) the meal has evolved to include a host of other goodies like lean meat, fatty meat, mushrooms, etc. and above all it's yummy yummy soup. So having sampled quite a lot of this, I figured surely the one in Klang, where Bakuteh is famous for, should be better, if not best?

It's nice to know people in far away places anyway..hehe. Klang isn't exactly far like Mars far, or Australia far, but 60KM of driving on a highway is far enough for me. Anyway, so this colleague of mine brought me to this renown Klang place which is suppose to be THE ONE for Klang people. The ones I went before are relative knock-offs.

So after picking him up from his home (which, on another side, is a pretty nice place and quiet too...) we had to drive another 15 minutes or so and the place is called Pandamaran Town area (he keeps on repeating "Sin Chuan" in mandarin but me and mandarin just don't mix, hehe). Then after confirming which stall it was (yes, despite it being such a renown eatery, it's actually just a stall beside the main road.) we sat down and he ordered. FYI, do not go there without a hokkien speaker. They will treat you like a nobody. Then my colleague explained that the owner would insist that the soup has to be at the right mix before he'll serve, so everyone will actually wait, even if it is for an hour, for this guy to serve. Luckily for me, we arrived in time for the first serve so we didn't have to wait too long.

Oh, did I mention that for Bakuteh the main thing for me isn't the meat and tea but the soup?? Well, you're not getting much of that here. They don't even give a bowl of soup. The bowl where they serve the meat consist of about 5-6 spoonful of the soup and that's it. You can't even ask for more soup. When your order more rice, they'll give you about 2-3 spoonful of soup..That's it, folks...

It was nice, in terms of taste. But I wouldn't go there if I want to drink Bakuteh soup....

I would go there again, if I find the right company. Going there on my own? 120KM of driving to have food I've already tried? Don't think so.

Ok, that's all I have got to say about Bak Kut Teh. Now I need to find motivation to practice what I'm taught. Somehow paying for it only motivates me to turn up to classes, which is not enough...

By the way, anyone want to donate me a piano???? :D

No comments: