Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Singapore Raw Deal Qualifier - Finale?

Last I checked the entourage of KL Wrestlers have reached the:

Venue: Suntec Convention Centre, level 3

Felt good that we have made it this far, and on time. (certain individuals tend to affect this negatively). Hung around and found a lot more people than, well, even the organisers expected. While everyone was thinking of getting some food, I was busy looking for people to trade/sell cards with. My 'then' perception was, "with the collection of cards that I have, surely there will be many who would drool over it and want them." Man, was I wrong.

Fued: Prematch Scouting

Began scouting around to see if I could find out what I would be up against. Expecting tons of Evolution(still the deck I was supposed to play) but saw a bunch of Armageddon Wrestlers instead. Worried sick about what cards were leagal as Singapore already have their shipment of Armageddon (Wolf, if you see this, why, Wolf, why?)

Stipulation: Banned Cards

Got so worried that I went up to the TO (tournament Organiser) and asked for clarification. This is the asnwer (in my own words) :" All cards with Armageddon expansion number is not legal. Everything else, Bring it on!"

Managed by Francis 'Wolf' See

Wolf did excellently to set us up in Singapore and showing the way. However, he (and his brother, Brian) chose to FFK (Fong Fei Kei, or Fly Aeroplane) and we were without their much needed 'management' and support throughout the tourney. We did ok, IMHO, but still wanted to rub it in on Wolf and Brian (read this!)

Prematch Event: My Sacrifice

Found a Singaporean with near limitless supply of promos. Got 3 That's Balanced, 1 Tornado Takedown of Doom, 3 GRA (completing my set of 7, YEAH!) and a host of other stuff. Sad point was the lost of Chyna Interferes and Brother's 'Till the End, as well as Sing$ 30. All in all, I think it was worth it.

Prematch Event: My Answer to F*@&^@ing Hell in a Cell

Up 'till now I was still thinking of GOldBerg, but it's problems with Hell in a Cell Match just stresses me out. However, one of the GRAs that I just bought, Vince McMahon, solves that problem! As a Prematch event, I could blank any stipulation in play! My prayers were answered. My worries, gone! GGGGOOOOLLLLDDDDBerg! was at the back of my head. Everyone with me would be able to tell how I pestered them this question: "do you think it's too late to change to GoldBerg?" They were all answering yes, but I think it's only because they had some much fun trashing GoldBerg, they preferred me to play that. Little did they know, I was going to play GoldBerg anyway. Onwards I went to rewrite my decklist, and fix my Backlash.

Prematch Event: Everyone Had Breakfast But Me!/Ahmad the Celebrity

For some unknown reason, I could remember everyone going to catch a snack except me. Ahamd don't count as he was getting a different kind of feed. He was getting FANS!! Once we settled the registration and stuff, Ahmad turned on his Celebrity Switch and, boy, he was famous. bordering on Infamous! And he didn't turn it off until the whole Swiss Rounds were over!

OK, sorry to bring alittle RAW DEAL to this entry. I just had to. WARNING!!!!!! "The following entries borders on GOLDBERG Flaunting.......If you have an issue with Successful Bald Men, please ignore this section"

I will now move on to storytelling all 7 of my matches, and the events in between.

Round 1
Evoulution. I mean, c'mon. I was suppose to play with you, not against you. Evolution started of without a venue, whcih I promptly said, "We only play in OSAKA!, Japan." Evo then played Bitter Rivals, which I thought he would round up with It's all About the Game. But he didn't play Hell in a Cell, which I found quite puzzling. The lack of a manager further convince me he wasn't going to blow our backlash. And he....didn't. All that I could remember is him taking out my Road to victory and his suprise to see It's Showtime that I played. After that, it was GoldBerg all the way with evolution having no fortitude at all. Little did I know, this was the same deck that won the tournament (but different palyer). 1-0 pin

*****FYI, the venue was so packed (did I mention turn out was 109 palyers with a venue fit for, like 64?) I played round 1 on the floor. So did Dawn and Ahmad. Dawn was so disgusted she brought up some, ahem,sexist comment, which, unfortunately wasn't to her favour. Oh, and Ahmad beat Crippler. Way to go!*****

Round2
Stephanie McMahon had Bacstage Signature but didn't reveal it because she felt like using Edge. So the higher the SuperStar Value (SSV) the better. I got lucky to overturn a Let's Wrestle Already on the second Run the Gauntlet, so I only overturn a few cards. I also GGGGOOOLLLDDD....Berg her First Family of Wrestling to avoid my It's Showtime from being plucked away. This was another uneventful match as it was GoldBerg all the way, with my opponent never changing enforcer as he necer got a chance to play any high risk manuevers. Oh, and local spectators were impressed with the win. Yippee! 2-0 pin

***** Dawn grumbles again about palying on the floor. Can't remember much of everyone's results, but at this point we were all quite ok. Adrian Teh (Guest TO?) announced that Round 3 would begin after lunch, not knowing that this was Round 3...Wonder if anyone else noticed?******

Round3
Was Mystery Wrestler. Tested with this deck quite regularly when Ahmad was using it, and as expected he All About the Game me. Knowing this, I played both Duchess of Queensbury Rules and Manage by Stephanie McMahon. He played Pay per view event as Stipulation, I believe to save him from pins. He was quite unfortunate to not have any Lariat Takedowns to begin with, and I just Jachammered & Speared him to kingdom come. No Backlash, no Backlash! by the time It's Over, I had higher fortitude (he had none) so his pay per view was blanked by Steph. Comfortable pin 3-0.

******Time for lunch (I think). We hurried to the Food level (directed by Adrian Teh) and then Ahmad, the auto pilot chose to navigate for us. We were at this roundabout that leads to many exits and even more food outlets, and with Burger King @ 9 o'clock, Ahmad decided to ask all of us to turn right saying that it's closer. I mean, granted we haven't really decided what to eat, but who can resist Burger King? So we ended up going 3/4 of the roundabout before arriving at the Burger King exit. After an insanely long wait to takeaway BK (no thanks to our hindsight of not noticing that our cashier was, urm, retired...), 4 of 5 Quest completed! Returning to the venue, Ahmad continued his Fan Club building while the the rest, lingered around. They were also selling booster packs of old at $2.50 each which prompted, even the poorer of the entourage to spend!*******

Round 4
FBI was next. Oh, to refresh your memory, I lost all my playtest matches against FBI. The difference this time, was again My Answer! Vince McMahon GRA has an ACE that allows me to completely reverse any multi manuever. Isn't he made for GoldBerg? It was actually quite a tough match, and because I couldn't hold my opponent to no fortitude, his Headstongs were online and I was running through my deck fast enough to find a counter. Eventually I ran out of reversal and took the chance to count out instead of pin. count 4-0

****** Tried to convince my opponent that a pin would be better for his tiebreakers. He agreed, and we reported the results as such. Damn those eavesdroppers who reported this to the TO. WHo said ex-Judge can be bad, huh? I know all the bad moves!*****


Round 5
Was with A very snobbish Kane. He played control and started with Bitter Rivals (again, possible AATG) and proceeded to HiaC me. I countered with DoQR even though I had Vince GRA. Then he proceeded to play Vince GRA before me! He even made a point to show his friends that this is how you do it. Even when I activated GgggoooollllddddBerg, he played Judo Takedown! I thought this must be my unlucky round. Fortunately for me, Kane sucked (though he did make top 16, boo hoo) and could draw enough firepower before I pounded him and It's Over. Not so cocky anymore, Kane?

Round6
Babe of the Year bluffed me by playing Raw Roulette as Stip and placed Skirt VS Skirt Match. Thinking that she would be playing a lot of actions, and not heat (no HiaC), I played Rules Are Meant to be Broken instead of something useful. Due to this hindsight, Things got rather crappy. I also got Undermined (the Competition) and ny the time her Headstrongs were online, I could only sit and wait. Unfortunately for both of us, time was running out and neither one of us could win. We spent a good 5 minutes trying to pyscho the other to concede, but in the end it was a double count out. boo Hoo. 5-1

******* By now, everyone was just enjoying the game knowing that top 16 wasn't possible (even for me). I had another GoldBerg above me with 6-0 record. Poor me. Little did I know there were other good GoldBergs. IF only he won.*******


Round 7
Victoria. Lucky for me, I was playing GOldBerg and not Evo. The last time I played Evo against her, 4 men enjoyed her so much they couldn't decide who to pin her (and got pinned instead!). GoldBerg on the other hand, sruvived a Get a Look at these (discard Widows Peak for 20 overturn) with yet another Let's Wrestle Already. Victoria was surviving with 1 card in arsenal with quality reversals in hand and in arsenal, unfortunately those reversals can't handle.....Atomic Lariat! pin 6-1

******** Tourney is now over. No one made top 16. Everyone got a belt/GRA and one ultra rare foil. We were happy, but tired. And we needed to rush home as poor Ahmad and Andy is working the next morning! (Azmin don't count 'cos Sleepy Jedi can make student assume the class happened)

Got to rush home now. Will finish off proper with the Epilogue.

Apologies for unincluded details! It was all intentional! (and also due to poor memory!)

1 comment:

mudster said...

Best report I've seen. Put it up on the shop's forums lar.