Monday, April 11, 2005

DDDDDDD Pressed

Ran my first CCG tournament yesterday. Not with Magic the Gathering, but Raw Deal (if you've been reading this, it should be obvious). Surprised to get 14 players when I thought getting 12 was impossible. Guess the prizes were good attraction. Oh, and getting 14 players were a problem as the tournament support was only good for 12. Had an opportunity to fix it, but couldn't. Tough luck.

I actually completed the tournament early (like by 6pm) for a 5 round tornament that cuts to top four. Guess 30 minute rounds are significantly faster than 50 minute rounds (what, you can calculate anymore meh? It's obvious, right?) In general, it was quite good a tourney.

However, I failed on 2 counts:

1) I failed to deliver as promised to provide everyone with a That's Balance promo card. It was meant that everyone joining the tournament would get one but the kit/support catered only for 12. So much for trying to push for more attendance. Damn.

2) I failed to rule properly when required. Made an ass of myself when I helped a Rock player by ruling against his opponent, resulting the match to draw. Later, when the opponent (who played the Phenom, an Undertaker remake (Which I hate! I don't know why)) recalled the ruling to other players, my mistake blew up on my face. Ouch! Better buck up to avoid further embaressment. If only Raw Deal had comprehensive rules like MTG. Or is it because I didn't read up enough? Must improve. Must.

Oh, it didn't help how I was reminded of my mistakes. it felt like I was an amateur. There was this group of players ranting away their dissatisfaction after the tournament was over (they were the winner and finalist, who unfortunately were the victims of the 14 player attendance (that I couldn't fix)) and how I failed to act in good faith over certain the prize support. They were also unhappy over certain decisions made about the next tournament I plan to organise. All I could do was sit and listen. Luckily they got tired and we all went for dinner! (he he, food is always good misdirection).

But just a couple of hours ago I saw a post on a forum referencing to the tournament (by the winner) and again the failures were highlighted. I felt crucified. Staked. Couple that with the shit I am getting in the Office (which, ahem isn't entirely not my fault), I took 4 hours and hit back. Now I need to prepare for the worst. Defy!!!!!

So here I am again, depressed and confused to why I constantly put myself in this position. Let's review:

1) I like to organise tournaments. I enjoy most when everyone get to have loads of fun while I sit back and watch. I do this at video arcades too, which explains why I could spend hours there without spending a sigle cent. Now there's PC games, so I don't need to do that anymore.

2) I hated the fact that dem damn Singaporeans (Malaysians, if you forward this Blog to Singaporeans, I'll Suicide Head Butt you!!!) had access to so many Raw Deal cards, a majority of them promos, while us Malaysians watched in awe. (Also should comment that I didn't like them having a better collection than I did, but that's another story). So running tournaments was a way for me to help fix this.

3) I can't take stress. I have taken stress test before and failed miserably. Wait a minute, this isn't a valid point? There's more stress running tournaments than playing them!

4) I hope to make a living from this. Then I can screw work and run tournaments full time. Yippee!! (erm. Excuse me? Raw Deal don't give you money for the work. Eventually I'm suppose to get the promos, but that's only if I survive this for more than 3 months. Oh, no money. Remember that. I need to pay for the support, remember (hint, USD 25 for the TKits?))

5) I like to be the centre of attention. Everyone needs to listen to me when I announce rounds, make rulings, bla bla bla..Yeah, That's right. I am the King of the World!! (I didn't just write that, did I? Stupid JellyKoh). What King of the world? This isn't Magic, where they have Judge levels to show my ability to make rulings. And my blunder was low. Real low. (Where's that rat hole?)

6) I get to be part of the shop. Well, for like 5 hours, anyway...Hmmm.. I smell a need to fit in....(Must defy, must defy). (What part of the shop am I apart of? Stop hallucinating, ok?)

7) I must be bored silly. hmmm....Best possible reason of the 7.

Discounting the non reasons, I guess I now know why I am doing it. How long can I do it, I don't know. If players continue to be ungrateful (luckily 'they' aren't, yet), I may just throw down the towel.

Life sucks..........And life goes on.......................................................................................................................

4 comments:

ExecutorAzmin said...

Chill dude!

I think there's enough of us who ARE grateful! We WANT you to continue to run tourneys...

Can't speak for everyone, but me and Triona are extremely grateful!

Love ya~~!

triona said...

yes i am grateful!!! this is the best wrestling event i have ever had! it was a blast. i guess i should have thought about having too many players. but i honestly didnt think it would happen.?? you are the best wrestling T.O. we have ever had. pooch and i couldnt deliver. wolf couldnt. so i dont know why people are complaining. people make mistakes, remember that. we are only human. learn from the mistakes that we make. still love you mate.

remember: i got your back.

mudster said...

I wasn't at the tourney. Will probably find the finalist after this. As soon as I can. Will pass him a copy of my That's Balanced to even things out. I knew buying 3 of those in Singapore was useful. Heh.

You did great man!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Aw... are you now stopped attempts of making tourneys? If you never had mistakes, you won't know if you dig your own grave ^^.

People more easy to see on failures than success. There is a story from venice: there was the greatest wedding party with the best bride and bridegroom. Everything seems so perfect until the bride slipped her leg and fall into the cake.
Altough every other things were perfect, what people remember next is just the accident.

Replying 4: Geez, we both wanted to get living from our hobbies >_< .

Replying to 5: same as me.