Saturday, April 30, 2005

Get out of Jail!!!

Card. That's what today is for me. The past month has been depressing as a whole, due to my knowlegde of what's to happen to my job scope. As I have posted before, I am returning to my previous role as an Administrator (or Secretary, for those who are wondering) from my current role as Team Leader. And today is my last day.

So why get out of jail? Hmmm. Lots of reasons. I no longer have to lead a team. That said, I no longer have to worry over my teammembers not doing their work, slacking, taking shortcuts, etc. I don't have to worry about their welfare, their stress levels, their happiness at work......All I have to worry is making sure my Boss get's what she wants when she wants it (no unethical thoughts, please..)

Oops (Out of Pattern Spend). I let out the cat. Let's talk about my job. Yes, I am known as the Department Administrator for about 80 employees. However, I report to one person, that's my Boss, who also happens to be the Director. And yes, it's a she. And yes, I agree what they say about female bosses. Oh, as I was saying, while I seem to serve 80 odd blokes, my major concern is the requirements of my Director. Again, this is business only (see why I don't like talking about this?) As long as the task given out by her is completed, I am free to do as I will (within certain constraints, of course).

Not that being a Team Leader meant I would have another boss. Nope. Same boss, more problems. The difference, is of course; Power & Money ( I could add the ability to serve others, but I'm no politician, so I'll lie). So I don't really have much to complain, do I?

But complain I do. You see, being male restricts my ability to multitask. And this role requires alot of multitasking. Not to mention, I have poor attention span. Sometimes constantly reminded items pass me by until its too late. In other words, I suck at my job. So how did this hopeless (me) get hired?

This is some fun to tell. I've told this before, but let's do this here as well. For your reading pleasure. You see, before this I worked night shift in the same department as a rep. My performance was above par, but not thoroughly outstanding. When the position became available, I was somewhat tired of my current job. There were certain changes happening, and I wasn't too keen on them. Besides, this is a day job. Weekends off. (not too mention, not bad in pay). And the role of 'Department Administrator' made it possible for a guy to go for the post. Oh, fyi, until I applied, everyone, and anyone, who even considered for this position, was female. (I see an opening for guy degrading comment!). So I posted. My competitors, all colleagues in the same department, were of course females with a certain skill lacking. Not without, but lacking (and this skill has nothing with me being male, dammit!)

I had the advantage of being more fluent in English. Like this. They, however, were, as I mentioned, lacking. ( I also believe that my boss probably was happy to be able to boast to have a male assistant, as every other person in similar roles were females, but that's another story). Not to mentioned I played all my cards right through 2 interviews with 4 women! I must admit though, I wasn't even convinced I should get the job......

That was 18 months ago. Now I'm going to be back at that role, and have to work with the person who replaces me. I just hope I can remain objective and not give them a hard time.

I need a new job....Anyone know of anything out there for me????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, in my sight, leading some people needs intuitions (which female posses them more)and multi tasking :P . By the intuitions and multi tasking , they can handle those people, even if the leader had no skill :P .

Not mention that being a woman gives some advantage when dealing with man...