Tuesday, September 27, 2005

hugs

Something that I don't do. Period.

It didn't help that despite having parents that were relatively western in thought, hugs just aren't something practiced at home. So for me to greet another person, or say goodbye with a hug, just isn't natural.

But the past 7 days have seen me hug 3 different people. FYI, they're all colleagues from other markets. Being truly western in culture, hugs and kisses (cheek pecks) are a form of greeting and goodbye. And I couldn't go all ewweee about it, so for a couple of seconds, my body like...."what just happened??? Dunno, please asked the brain to intepret what happened and why it did.." Brain would then say, "Oh, it's just a normal way to bid adieu" " WTF??? Normal??? Since when???"

You get the picture. Me no hug, so no hug me....Unless I want you too....ha ha...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sentiments too..
I posted something similar just minutes ago at the forum..
great minds think alike??
nah, more like coz we're related.. no?

Lady Aurora said...

I used to feel the same way. I still have a problem with people invading my personal space, but it really depends on who it is. The keyword here is someone who is non-threatening. How do I define that? Hmm... kids, girls, and people I'm comfortable with. The last one is harder to define than most. I could be friends with someone for 6 years and still don't feel comfortable if they touch or hug me. On the other hand, sometimes I feel comfortable enough with someone I've met not too long ago to give them a hug. It really depends on the person.

It's still not something that we do in the family, although since I'm close to my sister, we sometimes hold hands when we walk.