Sunday, September 25, 2005

Karaoke

Hmmmm. Confession. I'm a sucker to singing. My personal favourite is to hear the voices of the sopranos of a choir.....Angelic....

Unfortunately my only proper encounter with a choir was during my 2nd year in UPM (that's a University in Malaysia, fyi) where I joined a choir (for the wrong reasons, mind you) and ha to perform live twice while with them. Luckily it was only for the University audience, else I'd be too embarress to talk about it here.

Not to say that we (the choir) sucked, but by the second semester, we had a supposed 'experienced' musician as our conductor who turned out to be....Below par???

Jumping back to the header (My header is actually the theme??? Since when???). I recently had a Karaoke session with some close friends, and while the outing as enjoyable, the experince was....enlightening...

Oh, FYI, I do Karaoke somewhat once a month. Would love to do more, but the cost is not very encouraging. So what's the enlightenment?? You see, I like to sing so much that I memorise quite a number of them (unfortunately my voice isn't a 10 point advantage (ref: GURPS) so life as an entertainer is't an option), and I end up chosing these songs while I karaoke. The other 'problem' is that these songs ususally are MTV versions, i.e. no lyrics to sing along, so other people who don't know the lyrics by heart won't be able to participate.

Now the thing about karaoke is that it's meant for a group of people, irregardless of musical ability, to sing their hearts (and sometimes throat's) worth without caring if it's music to other's ears. However, with MTV, not only do you hear the original artist singing, you also have no lyrics to sing along....Get the picture???

I didn't get it 'till 48 hours ago..So while I happily sing songs I sing on a regular basis in the semi-lit room, others have nothing to do but listen. Now in a concert hall, that's probably what you want to do. In a Karaoke-room however, other than that 1 person who may be fiddling with the remote to pick the next millionth song, others aren't doing something they're there for...Sing.

Smack into my face, that revelation. SO I've decided that from now on, I'll not sing any song that others can't sing along with. No lyrics, no song. For the songs I know by heart, I ca ing them anywhere and anytime I want....

Except while in Karaoke.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't too sure.. Did you figure out yourself? Or did someone felt inclined to enlighten you, hence made the revelation that much more embarassing?