Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A day to waste away in HK....Part 5 of the HK trip

It is now Friday, 5th December 2008. My host has an early morning meeting at work, so I am to follow him to the island in the morning. As I've always been, I'm an early riser when I'm not at home (even now, when I'm at home, I wake up too early, I think...) but my host was not as early as me. When he did wake up, I was already playing with his PS3 :D. He asked me if I used the heater to shower the night before, so I told him I didn't (and he had a good laugh). Luckily for me he forgot to turn off the heater overnight so when I bathed in the morning I didn't have to do cold water!

Since he was running a little late for his meeting, he showed me a place where they have nice beef noodles so that I can try them for breakfast. Now, the morning before my pork chop with tea came to about HKD 30, so imagine my surprise when my beef noodles only cost HKD 15! So I got itchy fingers and decided to order a bowl of beef balls as well. The beef balls were quite big and there was around 7 of them I think, but.....The beef balls cost HKD 19! Should have just stuck with the noodles.

I had time to kill after breakfast and it was quite awkward to eat without something to read. I did hope to get some free paper near the MTR station as they generally do give them away the previous mornings, but this morning I had no luck. Also, my knees were getting worse so I kept having to find pathways that did not include stairs down.

Since I had time to kill while waiting for my host to finish with his meeting, I decided to do a little exploring around the area until my knees gave up. I walked and walked and walked so much I found myself at the shopping complex of the next station, which, is none other than City Plaza. Seeing that I've walked a little too far, I tracked back just in time to meet up with my host who finished his meeting.

Now the plan for the day was some tram rides and a visit to the giant Buddha in Lantau Island. These trams are old and still run through the HK island, so I thought it'd be nice to hop on one of them. It only cost HKD 2 per person anyway. Aside from it's slow pace, it did provide an opportunity to see HK island. Though with my limited view, all I see is shops at the ground levels and losts of apartments above them..Everywhere..

Photobucket

That's taken from a tram.

After we got off the tram we took the train to Lantau Island where the Buddha thing was at the last stop. The train ride was somewhat uneventful so much that I think we both dozed off. We got off at the last stop and was surprised that there weren't any clear signs to lead us to the Buddha. Seems like everyone in HK knows how to get there, so don't mind the tourist. My host hasn't been there either, so we had to walk around a bit before finding the cable car stations. Hongkies call it 360, which is what it's named anyway. Don't know how that name came to be.

Arriving at the cable car station the prices to get on the cable car was quite steep. HKD 96 return. If you wanted to check out their display rooms, then it's HKD 130ish I think. Since neither one of us were keen with the showrooms/display rooms, we went for just the ride up.

The cable ride was interesting enough. Had a good view of the HK airport too.
View of HK Airport from Gondola

Unfortunately my photography skills betray me. I'd like to blame the camera too, but since it isn't mine, better not say too much else I might not even get to borrow it the next time.

Oh, the customary..
I don't have eyes, you see..

Don't ask me where my eyes went. I don't know. Didn't notice it when I took the picture and don't know how to photoshop it. Too bad.

Arriving at the place, there were some shops laid out along the pathway, which supposedly used to be the village. Funnily enough we decided to have some icecream, despite us being about 300-400 feet above sea level and in Winter. A short trek later here's the giant arch to welcome tourist

Gateway to Hel...hehehe

Here's the hill next to it

Hill/Mountain?

Now, this Buddha is strategically located right up the hill (not up that hill, but the one I'm on, which you'll see better later), so there's a couple of hundred steps to climb before being within proper distance to take a picture. At the foot of the steps, there's this thing

Some Giant..

Which I really don't know what it was. It was huge, so I figure worth taking a picture off.

Now for those who read my Batu Caves adventure, here's another Ego trip for me. Know that I had knees that were in pain. Yet suprisingly, I had no problems climbing the stairs, unlike my happily settled host, who needed several stops before we reach the top. Dejavu for me, except that one is already married while the earlier one (in Batu Caves) is getting to it.

Big Bad Buddha

Here's big old Buddha. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I do know that there's suppose to be an inner sanctum of sorts within, but you'd have to have paid for vegetarian meal below before they'd let you go in. Surronding the Buddha is these six

One of Six
Two of Six
Three of Six
Four of Six
Five of Six
Six of Six
Aside from these 6 sculptures and lots of tourist, there isn't much to describe or to take photos off.

Then came the real problem. You see, while I have no problems going up, my knees have a problem going down. Don't ask me why, I don't know either. I just know they hurt everytime I go one step down. And this is 250+ steps down...

Not really that far...

Pain....Real pain..

Though for some reason after the steps me and my host still feels up for some more travelling. Earlier in the day we meet up with some of my host's colleagues before we got on the tram for a short breafast. In the discussion, there was talks about this fishing village that sold salted fish. While I'm not the type to buy souveniers home for random people, I am the type to buy food back if I can and salted fish was a good option. In the conversation they mentioned it's just a bus ride away and closeby to the '360' thingy. So after we returned via cable car, the fishing village was our next stop.

The bus itself was rather ordinary and the ride was kinda boring. Suffice to say dozing off was yet another preferred pasttime. About an hour later we arrived only to find it IS, indeed, just a fishing village.

Signboard not enough?
Tai O fishing boats
There were no nice lights or was it bustling with people. It was quiet and there was a fishy smell in the air. It took us less than 20 minutes to explore the whole place. Randomly picking a store, I bought 2 salted fish and then we were back to catching the bus ride.

Even now, I still wonder why I spent 2 hours, HKD 23.60 (bus fare) just to buy 2 salted fish worht HKD 50. Silly boy..

But the day isn't over. Ok, the day is, but the night was still young..(hehe, if you think something indulgent and sinful is coming up, you are correct!)

But then again, this is still me doing the writing, you know.....

No comments: