Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Now the adventure really begins.....Part 4 of the HK Trip

And I waited...

Ok, I didn't really have to wait too long before a smiling familiar face turned up around 6.50pm-ish. It did look like a flabbier face than I last remember it, but being chinese and what they say about growing horizontally once married is an indication of happiness in life, I thought nothing negative of it.

Oh, in any case, yes, my host, a Malaysian working in Hong Kong, did turn up. (Hereon referred to as host as I'm not sure he'd like it so much if I name him). He just finished work, or to be more accurate, he's on half day leave. A brief hello (like we meet each other everyday) later I was asked to re-enter the MTR as we were going off to his place which is near a MTR station. (Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember the station. It's in Kowloon though...)

3 stops (I think) later, my host asked me to disembark and lo and behold, his apartment is right above the station. Like, really, above it. Some 20 odd stories above (I also forgot what floor, sigh..Growing old I say..) Interestingly getting from the station exit to his apartment lifts required us to go through 3 'gates' which he doesn't fancy much but I think it's good security. A bit of a walk around the area later and a ride up the apartment lifts I find myself at his home.

It was a nice 2-room apartment, though for a person used to Malaysian sized apartments (and one living now in a 1500 square feet(sf) place) you'd find the apartments small and expensive. His was just shy of 800 sf, but cost a whopping HKD 3 million! Ok, so HK real estate is a killer, if you don't know by now. But his apartment is very convenient and has great facilities too (unfortunately, he only showed them to me on my final night there.) Luckily for me his wife and kids have recently returned to Malaysia, so I didn't have to sleep on the couch. Unfortunately, however, nothing really beats sleeping in your own bed at home, so I still had some adjusting to do. Not to mention the cold. So so cold (Ok, it's only because this dumb bloke hasn't spent near 0.01% of his lifetime in any climate other than hot, humid, Malaysian like weather (Singapore's no better), so winter IS a PROBLEM). Oh, I also had rashes ALL OVER MY BODY.......

Enough rambling. Dropping off my luggage, we went to dinner at a standard HK 'restaurant' which is much like coffee shops in Malaysia except its the same dudes that serve you drinks that serve you food. One day a Malaysian should go there and bring them the concept of owning a place, sell drinks and have loads of other blokes sell food for you. I don't recall what I ate, but it wasn't anything spectacular. As it was already getting late, we ended up walking around the complexes there and my host decided to drop by a console game shop to get his latest fixes.

You see, I didn't know that my host was quite an avid gamer. He owns a PS3 at home and has several PSPs for him and his family. So suffice to say I was never short of entertainment whenever we we resting at his place. This is turning into a great holiday! Muahahaha

Oh, a quick note about the bathroom. It's like this cool bathroom even though it's quite compact with bathtub and shower. Considering it was cold, I obviously needed hot water. But while I was getting ready to bathe, my host was having an 'in-depth' conversation via skype with his sister and I couldn't find myself to trouble him and ask how to activate the heater. So there I was, already shivering in the cold, bathing in COLD WATER!! brrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrr....

So, I'm not going to spend 3 nights 3 days in HK playing console games, am I?

No comments: