Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Why do I miss it so?

This time the header has nothing to do with what I 'm writing. I really don't know what to write, but I think I should as I haven't written for awhile.

Maybe I should go story telling today. What story will it be?

Why was I a Magic: the Gathering Judge.

For those who knew me a about 5 years ago, I started judging part time in 2000 during KL GP. Despite scoring well below the passing mark of 80 ( I think I got like 68). I got my level 1 that day and thus began my 2 year stint as a somewhat fulltime M:tG Judge.

I enjoyed judging very much, as it allowed me to be part of the game without having to face the hearbreak of loosing it. I'm not too keen in loosing, fyi, and while there are those who choose to see it as a challenge they will take up until they succeed (and then leaving it completely because it's no longer a challenge), I am the type that would rather back-off and fnd another way to enjoy the game and keep an avenue open that in future I may take up the game as a player again (hint hint).

Because of this judging stint, I had valid reasons to visit Singapore & Hong Kong, so I wouldn't say it was anything but a good experience. Eventually, after many tournaments appearing initially as some random judge, and later to being head judge and tournament organiser, I saw a better reason for me to do this; The satisfaction of running the show that everyone else enjoys. Mind you, it was no easy task, as I had to do alot of physical work arranging play areas and running tournaments. Not to mention the extended hours during tournaments, like 7am to 10pm..... And yet after every succesful tournament I would sit back and reflect on the good that I've done to the community...

So why am I an ex-Judge now? The main excuse is that I started to work, and working commitments made it difficult for me to spend those hours making a tournament go smoothly. The actual reason was that I felt betrayed by certain quarters, and lost both the way and the cause. Thus I initiated my exodus in 2003, and hasn't looked back since (lie).

Not too bad for a story from nowhere, huh?

No comments: